Sunday, January 9, 2011

" The drink would not satisfy. Food turned to ash in our mouths. And all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust." - Captain Barbosa, Pirates of the Caribbean


I'm not really sure how to communicate what I've been feeling. It is a feeling has been with me for almost 10 years now. Maybe I'll just tell you the times when I truly notice it, and it basically has slapped me across the face.

Last night my husband and I were watching Interview with a Vampire. Now, this is kind of a weird fantasy, fiction movie. As we were watching the movie, my mind starts to wander. My internal dialogue sounds something like this "What are we doing? What is the point of watching this movie? It's all fantasy, it has little implications for real life and it has no effect on our behavior..." Maybe I'm just getting to practical, but what is the point of watching movies or even creating movies like this? They create this alternate reality and these fictional characters and qualities, but to what end? There is a reality all around us. It leads me to believe that this is created simply for people to escape their reality. I can definitely believe that. But then the questions comes around should we, as Christians, engage in such things? The reality we have around us is where God is. Where God works. The people we have around us are the ones God wants to interact with and touch. They are real.

I think I need to ponder this concept a little more before I post about it. But basically the idea of escaping into a parallel reality,through movies, games, tv shows, books, or whatever media, is it a good idea as Christians? Is that how we should be spending our time? More to come on this!

- Erica

"Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. 'Come now, let us reason together,' says the LORD" Isaiah 1:17-18

No comments:

Post a Comment