Friday, January 21, 2011

The Progression of Life

I've been thinking lately about how we get to where we are in life. If you had asked me 5 years ago if I would be living in Buffalo, NY, married, and a student in a Master's program, I would have laughed at the thought. But, here I am. How did I get here?


I can trace back the series of big decisions that we faced. And the decisions start with me personally, and then they turn into cooperative decisions with my now husband. Where to go to college, who to build friendships with, when to pursue a relationship, when to move where, graduating early, when to start my masters program...and now I can look back and see those decisions, but when you are making them they don't seem to be so life altering. Or maybe it is just looking at an individual decision that might change things now, but I don't really think about how it will change my life in the future (or more than 2 years into the future). And this, of course, excludes the decision to get married.


I just think it is interesting how each decision we make shapes our life so much. And one decision, like the decision to graduate early, leads to new decisions, like getting a full time job, that wouldn't have come so soon or even in the same city. So strange.


And that leads me to think about the decisions I am making today. What to focus on in my course load next semester, what to do over the summer, turning down or accepting offered positions. How will those decisions effect me now, and how will they shape my life over the next 5 years? 10 years? It will be interesting to see. I look forward to looking back in 10 years and seeing the decisions that got me to where I will be.


I pray that those decisions will allow me to glorify God to my fullest potential and that they continue to shape me into the person I want to be.


- Erica

"Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. 'Come now, let us reason together,' says the LORD" Isaiah 1:17-18

No comments:

Post a Comment